10 Twitter Toddler Steps(Okay, it is tomorrow in my world.) Now that you have the basics down, lets talk about hashtags.
1. The bottom button (on your Iphone App) that looks like a pound sign, is the Discover icon. Push it - really - now... You should see a bunch of posts from popular twits that you probably don't follow. These are the tweets that are trending aka most tweeted about.
2. Scroll up to the top and find the word Trends and click on it. This will show you the top ten trending topics. Now go exploring. You will find conversations or meetings about writing, editing, reading, singing, etc. Some meet once a week at the same time to discuss a new topic. You are invited. Just join in...
3. When replying to a hashtag conversation you must include the #topic or it wont include you in the conversation. It is like a secret code... Example:
#1P2K Meet Johnny, ask him anything you want to know! ----- This is an example of a conversation.
Now you attempt to reply:
Hi Johnny. Who are you and what is 1P2K? ---- FAIL you forgot the secret code #1P2K
Hi Johnny. Who are you and what is #1P2K? ---- GENIUS you are part of the hashtag party!
(By the way #1P2K meets every Thursday night at 8pm Texas time! Meet Johnny this week!)
4. Start your own # conversation. It is simple; pick a catchy #, start meeting same day and time, tweet reminders. It will be slow at first but try, try again! Soon, you will have a few people discussing topics with you!
5. Now that you are meeting people and being social, how do you get more followers? The old fashioned way; one at a time. Do not fall for the "Follow me and get 1000 new followers" gimic. These "followers" are not real. Click on their face and look at their profile... No tweets = NOT REAL No followers = NOT REAL Stay away from the fake birds!!!
6. To find new, real birds that you have something in common with, try piggy-backing. Find someone or something you like (ME @janagrissom) and click on my followers. Now, start clicking on faces and seeing who looks interesting and follow them.
*HINT- If they follow more people than are following them, then they ARE likely to follow back; WINNER
*WARNING- there are some who only follow a couple yet have thousands of followers. I consider these Twitter snobs. Don't bother following them; they are not friendly birds.
7. Stay out of Twitter Jail. If you follow too many people too fast, then Twitter will suspend you without even saying sorry.(I think they added a new feature to warn you and make you agree to stop aggressive following because my son had this happen recently. At least they warned him instead of instant excommunitweetion!) So, take your time and don't follow 100 new people in less than 5 minutes. LOL
8. If you have been cut off... Go to the Twitter website and beg for forgiveness.
9. DM = Direct Message On your home screen, these are found by touching the envelope on the upper right side. You can reply but with only 140 characters!
10. If you receive an off color DM that you do not like, at all, then touch their face (not the words). It will take you to their profile. Now touch the icon that looks like a shadow of a person that is located on the left top. Push it and choose BLOCK. Then push it again and REPORT SPAM!!! If someone is trying to solicit sex, sell stuff, or get you to do something you don't like; report them. Otherwise Twitter will be taken over and our fun, social aspect is ruined.
Okay, you are off to a pretty good flight. You may still teeter here and there but don't quit! The point is to have fun and meet wonderful peeps all across the planet! I know I have! Tomorrow (remember we are on my calendar...) I will post: 10 "I Already Know It All" Twitter Teen Steps
Tweet ya later!
Honestly, I have made some friends on Twitter that I would consider "best friends"! I am sure we would be too! Follow me @janagrissom
You should also follow: @Kaylee1P2K, @Rah1P2K, @JohnnyBoggs1P2K, @Danielle1P2K, @Shay1P2K, @CodyGrissom1P2K, @GongleShanks, @WendelSparsett, @KaraJarina, @Grimnian, @andj7871, @JanineLexx